Stampede: “I will NOT resign”- Nigeria’s interior minister

image

Nigeria’s interior minister has rejected calls for him to step down after he blamed job-seekers for their deaths in Saturday’s stampede.

At least seven people died after tens of thousands turned up to take a test for fewer than 5,000 positions.

Abba Moro told the BBC that there had been “poor handling” of the event by officials but also said those in the crowd should have been more patient.

He said his resignation “did not arise” until after an investigation.

Tens of thousands of people are said to have turned up to take the test
Mr Moro told the BBC’s Newsday programme that “unauthorised” people had broken through the fence into the national stadium in the capital, Abuja, where the tests were being held, causing the stampede.

Similar statements over the weekend had led to calls for him to resign.

Although he said he accepted responsibility, as only one stadium entrance was open at the time, he said he would not step down.

One of the applicants, Mohammed Yusuf, told Newsday he saw two people crushed to death in front of him, saying it was “very terrible”.

Read more: BBC

About noco2097

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

Scroll To Top