Reports posted on the BBC suggest that an Egyptian court has ordered the release on bail of former President Hosni Mubarak in a corruption case.
Reports suggest he may be freed from jail on Thursday – but officials say he will be put under house arrest.
The 85-year-old still faces charges of complicity in the killing of protesters during the uprising that forced him from power in 2011.
He was sentenced to life in jail last year, but a retrial was later ordered after his appeal was upheld.
That retrial opened in May but Mr Mubarak has now served the maximum amount of pre-trial detention permitted in the case.
State of emergency
On Wednesday, a court ordered Mr Mubarak’s release, said his lawyer and judicial sources.
Asked when Mr Mubarak could actually leave the prison, his defence lawyer Fareed El-Deeb told Reuters: “Maybe tomorrow.”
The ruling came during a hearing on charges that the former president had accepted gifts from state-run publisher al-Ahram.
State prosecutor Ahmed el-Bahrawi was quoted by Reuters as saying that the ruling “is final and the prosecution cannot appeal against it”.
Prosecutors have previously brought new charges when courts have ordered Mr Mubarak’s release – a move intended to keep the ailing ex-leader in detention.
Later on Wednesday, the office of Prime Minister Hazem el-Beblawi said that Mr Mubarak would be placed under house arrest after his release.