By Terry Odenigbo
Splash is one of the very few ladies who has defied the stereotype and re-defined the norms in Africa’s most populous nation. The eccentric rapper who made a name for herself with her hit single “Church Agbasa” has carved a niche for herself with her self styled version of rap where she fuses the Igbo language with both broken English and British English.
NoCoolStory caught up with her and here are excerpts of the conversation that ensued:
1. Can we get to know you. Your full name and all.
” OKAY MY NAMES ARE GENEVIEVE NWADINMA AND OF COURSE YOU ALREADY KNOW ME AS SPLASH.”
2. SO WHERE DO YOU COME FROM, YOUR BACKGROUND AND ALL?
“Well basically am from Ebonyi state and an IBO girl of course and my kind of music;you know the kind of rap I do. I rep my culture, I rep where I come from and emmm am Nigerian. *laughs *”
3. Some people compare you to phyno and someother IBO rap artistes. What do you have to say about this?
“Well I get that a whole lot and its not something strange to me and it isn’t something that will make me feel bad cos and Phyno is actually good and because and we are two indigenous rappers.”
4. So apart from music, what if music wasn’t in the background or picture, what would you have been doing?
“Am a graduate so if I wasnt doing music I would probably be doing something else and am also a fashion freak so I probably would have been doing my fashion stuff. Am a stylist.”
5. Aii. So what’s with the new record label. Our sources tell you had issues with the old?
“*laughs loud* why is it when people move, people just conclude that their is a problem? Their was a move but their wasn’t any problem.
6. Okay splash the last question. What’s your opinion on same sex mariiage?
*laughs* well I have never experienced that oo. I have no opinion on that. * laughs* its very novel to me so I dont know.”
Okay thanks for your time splash